There are two routes to this:
1. The fastest general way is to make a picture in your mind. A picture of something that interests you, or is familiar. Somewhere you felt good - maybe on holiday? Really get into the detail. Imagine feeling the wind, touching the water, feeling the sun on your face. All in your imagination. Even if this seems odd to you, its worth a try. There is more to our brains that we realise!
2. The other way is to practise regularly. Try the easy relaxation techniques on this website when you are feeling calm - so that they will be very easy to recall and activate when you are under stress.
Relaxation through breathing
The breath can be used as a highly effective way to relax. Possibly because breath is the one thing is both automatic and that we can control, so it links the conscious and unconscious minds.
Anyway, it works.
Technique 1. The 4-fold breath
- Sit quietly.
- Bring your attention to your breathing.
- As you breathe in, count to 4.
- Next hold your breath for a count of 4
- The as you breathe out, count to 4
- Then hold it for 4.
Continue this process for a few minutes.
If you feel light-headed don't worry - it is just more oxygen going in.
If it becomes uncomfortable - just stop.
Technique 2. Reverse breathing
(a martial arts breathing technique)
- Focus on your breathing
- Push all the air out of your lungs.
- Then relax and let the air bounce back in, filling your lungs completely.
- Again push all the air out
- Let it bounce in again
Again if you feel light-headed - its ok.
If it gets uncomfortable - stop.
Soon we will publish here some more easy techniques for relaxing and some sound files to listen to and download to your MP3 player.